Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

If at first you don't succeed...

6 posts in this topic

Posted

My first Kitfox experience ended rather abruptly, hoping this one works out better. ;)

post-53-13145762125851_thumb.jpg

post-53-13145762150334_thumb.jpg

post-53-13145762158469_thumb.jpg

post-53-13145762166155_thumb.jpg

post-53-13145763187592_thumb.jpg

post-53-13145764863224_thumb.jpg

Posted

Nice. Did it come with the mobile hanger? The taper tip warp has intrigued me for some time. What length are the blades? I wonder what the performance difference is between them and the square tip? Watch out for the distraction factor, you'll really have a hard time getting back to the Avid +. Pretty nice panel? All the best.

Jack

Posted

My first Kitfox experience ended rather abruptly, hoping this one works out better. wink.gif

Hey Doug, Where is my picture with the new bird?wink.gif Lets see who is back in the air first. stirthepot.gif

Good luck, Russ.

Posted

Jack-

This prop is 70" and the log shows it's good for 100mph+ IAS at 5500rpm. Somewhere I read it may be the best non-IFA prop for the 912ul if you float your plane, that would be a nice bonus for me. The panel is ok, set up for stack trays and has a Narco 810+ with built-in intercom. Will be nice not to have to use an old handheld radio and portable intercom. One thing I really like is that the builder cut the panel down and also installed an in-panel compass for better viability. I always felt the model 4 panels were waaay to high, and visibility is already an issue on a TD w/ the round cowl. I can post a crappy phone pic.

And yes that was a gorgeous trailer, brand new custom made aluminum deck-over tandem axle that cost the fellow well north of $15k +tax. But as a Kitfox hauler, I have to say it SUCKED!! The lights were moved from the sides to the top for maximum door width but the rear ramp latches were left on the side post which left -maybe- about 1/2" clearance on each side as the plane was winched thru. And that was after un-doing the wing stay brackets and squeezing the wings together. wtf?! Definitely not a one man job and IMHO, somebody dropped the design ball big time. Moving the latches up just 10" would have made all the difference. As it was, the owner's grandson damaged the LE of the left wing when loading it up. Thank goodness for the PVC LE extrusion which prevented damage to the spar itself, but now I got some extra repair work in the bargain grrrr.

post-53-13146462315923_thumb.jpg

post-53-13146462582779_thumb.jpg

Posted

Hey Doug, Where is my picture with the new bird?wink.gif Lets see who is back in the air first. stirthepot.gif

Good luck, Russ.

Well had you stuck around a bit longer I would have taken one. Honestly, rushing away to your own 'surprise' B'day party with your g'kids and all, I just don't know if you have your priorities straight.

Joking!! :)

In any event, was nice of you to drop by and lend a hand stripping the KF-III. It was dark and starting to rain before I finally made enough room and got the new one tucked inside!

post-53-13146474104467_thumb.jpg

post-53-1314647411757_thumb.jpg

Posted

At least you ditched the snowmobile motor... :stirthepot:

If you play with the pitch on the prop you can get a 120 mph cruse at the expense of the STOL performance. (That's how mine was pitched initially.) Now I get a "high" (5500) cruise of 105-110 and "normal" (5000) cruise of 95-100.

I still may ditch that heavy pos warp for Smitty's IVO to try...