Needle Tach For Sale!

8 posts in this topic

Posted

Building on Joey's "needle tachs suck" post, I'm offering for sale my westach in case anyone wants to deprive themselves of some horsepower :hammerhead:

After flying this plane for 3-4 yrs. and reading Joey's post, I started wondering how far off that old tach could be. So i invested a wapping $60, ordered a tiny tach, and installed it in about 15 minutes. The results below speak for themselves!

My Original Take off RPM

My Newly Adjusted Take off Rpm

Sorry for the crappy camera work, I was trying to fly and contain my excitement! Holy SH!t, it's a totally different bird! :bday:

Thanks guys! :siterocks:

Posted

Building on Joey's "needle tachs suck" post, I'm offering for sale my westach in case anyone wants to deprive themselves of some horsepower :hammerhead:

After flying this plane for 3-4 yrs. and reading Joey's post, I started wondering how far off that old tach could be. So i invested a wapping $60, ordered a tiny tach, and installed it in about 15 minutes. The results below speak for themselves!

My Original Take off RPM

My Newly Adjusted Take off Rpm

Sorry for the crappy camera work, I was trying to fly and contain my excitement! Holy SH!t, it's a totally different bird! :bday:

Thanks guys! :siterocks:

Awesome Bryce! 6800 is too much though your going to kill your cruise. 582 makes her peak HP at 6500 and peak torque at 6000. Anything more your just decreasing the life of your engine and burning more fuel. I turn right around 6300 on takeoff which is in the middle obviously.I found that RPM to be the best compromise between climb and cruise for my set up. My needle tach is coming out of my plane on Wednesday when I go out to tinker on it. I'm just going to put a piece of painted aluminum behind it for now till I find something that's actually useful to take up panel space.

Posted

... till I find something that's actually useful to take up panel space.

A panic button?

:angeldevil:

Posted

Joey, i have an inflight adjustable prop, so i just feed the pitch to her and use those #s you mentioned once we clear the trees. Bryce

Posted

Joey, i have an inflight adjustable prop, so i just feed the pitch to her and use those #s you mentioned once we clear the trees. Bryce

Awww didn't know that tidbit Bryce...you have the best of both worlds then! Makes you wonder how many people are out there are flying with low rpms. I see most guys with a 912 have the Rotax tach. Wonder if it's more accurate.

Posted

Joey, did you remove your needle tach Wednesday. I was going to remove mine, but didn't want to mess up anything on the ignition. It looks like there are 2 brown wires and at least one other wire. How much does the tach weigh? I might leave mine in because the face provides a good solid surface to mount the Tiny Tach w/ double sided tape :lmao: ! Bryce

Posted

I removed mine last week. Mine only had two wires. I just put some black tape over the ends of the wires. I built an aluminum plate using the tach as a template to cover the hole. The holes in the tiny tach line up perfectly with the holes that hold a 3 1/8" instrument in. I just used the top two bolt holes to bolt the tiny tach onto the panel. I never finished the job because I was waiting for the paint to dry on the cover I made. Unhooking the tach shouldn't do anything to the ignition those wires come off the coil inside the engine.

Posted

The grey wire is the tach lead, the others should be power (mine had a back light in it). Just tape up or heat shrink the end of the wires and tie them out fo the way.

:BC: