Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New fuel line products

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Ethanol proof fuel system products are a must for most of us.

In the course of replacing the old Mil 6000 fuel line in my KF4, I researched and found some new fuel line products announced recently. Of particular interest are a couple of new low-permeation (no-stink) fuel hoses approved for use with leaded and unleaded gasoline, diesel, bio-diesel, E-85, Methanol, Ethanol, and gasohol fuels on carbureted engines.

See: Gates Barricadeâ„¢ Fuel Line Hose and HBD/Thermoid Vapor-Locâ„¢ Fuel Line Hose.

Much nicer on the wallet. The Goodyear ethanol-proof, low-permeation SAE 30R9 5/16" fuel injection line many have been using runs over $5.00/ft + tax. Gates Barricade 5/16" runs about $1.60/ft., or only ~1/3 the cost.

[edit] BTW - Gates makes the NAPA branded hoses. The NAPA equivalent of Gates Barricade p/n 27314 (5/16" x 25' roll) at my local store cost $57.25 ($2.29/ft) + tax. I paid $38.00 ($1.52/ft) + tax for the actual Gates Barricade hose p/n 27314 from my local independent auto parts store.

Hope that helps!

Posted

Doug did you find a source for the "beaded" fittings they recommend using for this hose? One of the problems reported in the past was shredding of the rubber hose when you used the "barb" type fittings.

Jack

Posted

Jack-

The fittings on my plane are beaded, with the exception of the 1/4" npt x 5/16" hose barbs that go into the wing tank finger strainer outlets and braided line from the header to the shut-off. Fortunately I may have some beaded replacements in my parts bin from another project years ago. I used to get most of that stuff from Jegs and Summit Racing IIRC if you need some.

In any event, the KF 4-1200 build manual 912 install section I have stipulated 5/16" Mil 6000 from the wing tanks to the header (w/ no valves or filters), then 5/16" aluminum line to the fuel shut-off, then 5/16" aluminum to the gascolator if so equipped (it was a Skystar option), more 5/16" Mil 6000 to the 912 fuel pump, then 1/4" pump to carbs.

I have no idea if the braided hose liner is gasohol proof, any way to tell? I bought a 25' roll of the Barricade fuel line in case that needs replaced too.

Posted

Doug,

Thanks for the information and the offer, I've gone ahead with barb fittings and plastic fuel lines.

Probably the only way to see if the hose holds up to ethanol is to soak some for a while and see the results.

Have you been doing much on your Avid+? I'm still working on the wiring and plumbing, when I get a chance. It seems like the distractions in my life get the priority and the Avid gets shoved aside.

All the best,

Jack