Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Kitfox Crash

20 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

A Kitfox 7 (SS?) crashed on takeoff today in Caldwell, killing both occupants (man and woman). Presumably attending the factory fly-in this weekend.

The plane was based in California. Per the news story it was N624JS. I won't print the registration information (that we all can get) here. Does anyone know this plane or it's owners?

My prayers go out to the family(s) of the victims of this accident.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Wow that's terrible! The Kitfox Factory Fly-in was in Homedale, Idaho but some of the closest fuel is Caldwell so they were most likely up for the fly-in. I'll be curious to hear what happened. I didn't see this posted on TKF were you holding off Larry?

Posted

Wow that's terrible! The Kitfox Factory Fly-in was in Homedale, Idaho but some of the closest fuel is Caldwell so they were most likely up for the fly-in. I'll be curious to hear what happened. I didn't see this posted on TKF were you holding off Larry?

It was mentioned in the "Sad News" thread. I did not put up any other information. The n-number was visible in the video on the news story.

Posted

It was mentioned in the "Sad News" thread. I did not put up any other information. The n-number was visible in the video on the news story.

I guess its time for a confession.. Years ago I was in the habit of shutting the fuel selector switch off so when fueling I would not get any tranfer from wing to wing as the ground was not level at the pumps. I was in a hurry to get out to my hunting grounds and after fueling I did not do my GUMPS checklist as I jumped in, fired it up and taxied out to the runway. Thankfully, I was at ENA and it was a long taxi to the end of the runway and I was behind 2 commuter aircraft so I had a bit of a wait. The header tank in the PA12 gave me just enough fuel to get to the runway before she quit. Had I done a normal intersection departure that day instead of going all the way to the far end of the runway, I would have been about 50 to 100' in the air when she quit. I am sure I am not the first person to do this...

We have had a hell of a bad year up here with Mid-Airs (lost a buddy a few days ago) to another one. I know how much fun it is to go low level and yank and bank, I do it damn near every day, but guys, stay on the radio and tell others where you are on the CTAF and dont get in a hurry and forget your very simple checklist before take off / landing. The ass you save will probly be your own!

:BC: <to those on the final journey west. Fair skys n tail winds

Posted

I thought the name looked familiar when I pulled the info and sure enough this guy was hangared in Rio Vista CA where I finished building and made my first flight. I didn't know him very well but knew who he was and had checked out his bird before. Good info Leni. The slightest lapse in concentration in this sport could be your last. I will be curious to hear what caused the failure. This is the third fatal accident exactly like this in light airplanes with people I knew in less than a year. They were all low level power failures and they all went straight in. :((((

Posted

#1 Rule... Fly the damn plane! I broke #1 rule when I had the engine failure in the pacer. I had my head in the cockpit going through emergeny procedures (like a restart at 75' altitude and hanging on the prop was really gonna save my dumb ass).

On the 2 engine outs I have had in the Avid I flew the plane first, and went for a restart second. I was lucky enough to have survived crash incident #1 to learn my lesson and not do the same on #2 and #3.. those turned out to be non-events cause I followed rule #1.

I also learned that while we may look super cool doing a max perfromance climbout, it leaves us NO room in the event that the pilot cooling fan stops turning. If I am in a tight spot, I will go max performance just till the obstacle is cleared, then I pick up plenty of speed to give a few extra seconds of flying before I contact terra firma.

:BC:

Posted

Man this is brutal. They hit hard.

4e6461a480abc.image.jpg

Posted

I am pretty sure that photo is after they pulled the wings off and probly cut the cage to extricate the bodies. At any rate, it looks like a stall and nose dive straight in to me from the other other photos. That is how my ride in the pacer was, and if was not for the fact that I had the full lotus floats on that plane, which put 16 air bags under my dumb ass, I know I would not have walked away from that crash, nor ever had the pleasure of flying an Avid or kitfox.. In fact, I am certain that I would have left a widow and 3 kids that day if it were not for those floats!

Posted

Man this is brutal. They hit hard.

4e6461a480abc.image.jpg

Probably didn't look as bad before jaws of life got ahold of the fuselage

Posted

I lifted this report from another forum... makes you wonder what really went wrong!

First, here is what the press has reported about the crash so far

http://www.ktvb.com/home/Plane-crashes- ... 22983.html

http://www.idahostatesman.com/2011/09/0 ... dwell.html

And now I hope I don't stir up a hornet's Nest with this comment.

This plane took off directly ahead of me Sunday morning at 8:00 am, he announced he was taking off from runway 12, for a downwing departure to the west. Then a few seconds later he said he was "doing a short landing on runway 12". I watched as he got about 50 feet into the air, then landed on the remaining runway and turned off at the east end. When I took off a minute later he was in the runup area with his engine running. About 20 minutes later I heard him anounce that he was taking off from runway 30, straight out departure. I didn't hear anything more from him, and didn't get back to Caldwell untill monday afternoon, so I was suprised to see the lead story on ch.7 was this plane crashed at the west end of the runway.

The 2 questions that I don't expect the FAA to find an answer to are:

1 what problem did he have that made him abort 50 feet in the air on his first takeoff?

2 what, if anything, did he do during those 15 minutes at the end of the runway, and why did he takeoff afgain?

Posted

Leni awesome reply on BCP to this post. I shot the news articles to our EAA president to get the word out over on this end.

Posted

Leni awesome reply on BCP to this post. I shot the news articles to our EAA president to get the word out over on this end.

Just keeping it real and trying to shut down a lil monday morning quarter backing. We are all prone to fn up. Been there, done that and got the bloody tee shirt.. and parts n pieces to prove it :lol:

Posted

I feel like a dumb ass but I gotta ask what the GUMPS check list stands for, I know a couple of the obvious but it sounds like a good way to remember them and I can use all the help I get when it come to that.

Thanks Willis

Posted

I was taught (for heavier aircraft) that GUMPS was the landing checklist:

G - Gas turned to proper tank

U - Undercarriage, retractable gear extended

M - Mixture, set to rich

P - Prop(s), set to high RPM

S - Speed, in the proper arcs for gear and flap extension.

But, I don't think that's what Leni had in mind...

Posted

Actually, I kinda use it for both... Gas (proprer tank selected) Undercarriage (you dont have a flat tire, or water rudders are up) Mixture (full rich), Prop (set for take off).. as basic as it gets yet can keep you out of trouble on take off and landing.

I know they teach CIGAR for take off... I do that as I am sitting in the bird waiting for it to warm up.. The GUMP I do just prior to take off and on down wind. I am kind of a rebel by nature (I know I have hidden that from you guys right :lol:) but over a few oh shit moments, I have learned that GUMP does more for me than CIGAR when it really comes down to it..

BC.gif

Posted

Thanks Guys,I'll burn it into my brain, I had a bush master 2 Ultralight and the gas shut off was on the bottom of the tank,under the dash, right beside the Rip cord (no electric start on that beast). I got a surprise shortly after take off when the engine died ,I made a safe landing since this happen on the praires. After some hair pulling I realize that the cord was slapping the shut off valve and closing it. I am just Glad it was in the flat lands and not out here in the mountains.

Willis

Posted

If y'all like acronyms, this list should tickle your fancy...

acronyms.pdf

Posted

If y'all like acronyms, this list should tickle your fancy...

acronyms.pdf

So how many bowls did ya have to smoke to come up with that check list :lol: Holy hell eph me.. That looks like my daily work schedule... Meetings to plan meetings for prejob planning meetings. :lmao:

Posted

Found that list on a CFI forum, guess they got time on their hands lately.

Now who the hell is going to remember 'TTMMMPFFISCH' or 'O BUMFITCH' ???

On the flip side, I'm not likely to forget the P.U.F.F. or 'T.I.T. Check'.

Posted

I guess I gotta make a geek confession... The safety world here at work is far above and beyond that of anyother I have seen anywhere in the world... we have to do 360 degree walk arounds of out trucks before we move them, each and every time we park them.. that is just for starters.. But, in the interest of safety (and in light of one of my guys running his dumb ass outta fuel when it was 30 below outside) I came up with our own vehichle checklist that I now use every time I get into a car or truck..

SLIM

Seatbelts: put em on

Lights: turn em on dumbass

Instruments: Check your gauges dummy.. is there gas in the tank? is the voltage gauge showing that its charging? Does everything look normal?

Mirrors: Does your dumb ass have them adjusted so you can actually see out of them?

OK, I am done being a geek now... Back to my regularly scheduled asshole of a self :lol: