Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

The best prop option is ?

13 posts in this topic

Posted

I am planning to get a "O" time 503 Dual ig. power setup soon with a "C" gearbox containing 3.47:1 set. Now wanting to fly a two blade and have best climb / cruise performance.....field elev. is 998'. I do not want to get an adjustable pitch setup....really want to get a nice fixed pitch wood prop. Top end speed is not that important...would rather have the power to get in and out of short strips/pastures.Insert bushplane picture into thoughts here. Flight will be mostly in Va/NC and in the foothills areas. I know for a fact that it has been done and vids of Kitfoxes/ Avids on youtube prove the fact. Now for the suggestions and reasons why or why not. I have been warned already of possible 200 rpms over max at cruise...needing a bit more pitch...and another 1K for another prop.Then I could just throttle back a bit and live with that though. Looking for the tried and true....and proof of theory.

I have not found much in the way of diameter/pitch combos for the ratio on this power plant. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.....2516 Lima Xray

Posted

I am planning to get a "O" time 503 Dual ig. power setup soon with a "C" gearbox containing 3.47:1 set. Now wanting to fly a two blade and have best climb / cruise performance.....field elev. is 998'. I do not want to get an adjustable pitch setup....really want to get a nice fixed pitch wood prop. Top end speed is not that important...would rather have the power to get in and out of short strips/pastures.Insert bushplane picture into thoughts here. Flight will be mostly in Va/NC and in the foothills areas. I know for a fact that it has been done and vids of Kitfoxes/ Avids on youtube prove the fact. Now for the suggestions and reasons why or why not. I have been warned already of possible 200 rpms over max at cruise...needing a bit more pitch...and another 1K for another prop.Then I could just throttle back a bit and live with that though. Looking for the tried and true....and proof of theory.

I have not found much in the way of diameter/pitch combos for the ratio on this power plant. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Thanks in advance.....2516 Lima Xray

I would think that you would want the largest diameter prop you could put on it and still have your ground clearance.With the C box you can run a heavier prop,check out Powerfin,Warp Drive, Ivo. I think they have a suggested prop chart for the combo you have.I would have a ground adjustable vs a fixed prop but thats just a preference.There are some nice wood prop builders out there for Rotax, I believe GSC Props still build wood.Randy

Posted

:welcome: I believe member Bandit has/had a 503 on his Avid. Not sure what gearbox but if I am correct and he sees the question, I'm sure he'll share his experience on props.

Posted

I know you say you want fixed pitch, but I have found that winter versus summer, floats versus wheels and even wheels versus ski's I like different pitches. I would really be looking at the IVO ground adjust. The easiest prop to set and side by side comparison on an Avid MK IV it kicked the GSC's ass in cruise and climb, not to mention ran much smoother.

As Ditch Diggler Doug said ( :lmao: sorry Doug), talk to Bandidt on here, he is running a 503 on his plane and it gets around pretty damn good from the videos he has posted!

:BC:

Posted

I'm running a 3 blade ground adj GSC. It impresses me but then again i'm easily impressed :o

Once mine kicks the bucket i'm going to carbon fiber like the IVO. Wood props lead to moisture issues and a little flight in the rain can do bad things to a wood prop.

I also like the idea of having one main screw to adjust the pitch instead of playing with 3 blades and trying to match them to the same pitch. Just :2cent:

Posted

I am running a 503 DCDI in my Bandit, with a B gear box 2.58 to 1. I installed a IVO 66" 3 bladed ground adjustable prop on it. Seems to be working good. The first thing you will notice is how much smoother and quieter it will run. You can adjust the pitch in about 30 seconds. Right now I have mine set so I am showing about 6250 on take off. To get my IAS at 70 mph I have to run my rpm at about 5750. If I show less than 70mph my airplane seems to fly sluggish. I have tried pitching it down so I get more rpm on take off, but you seem to lose in cruise real fast. I would have to run 5900 to 6000 to get 70mph. It seems like you can get one or the other, but not both with the ground adjustable. You can also adjust your mixture with this prop, pitch it up will richen your mixture, down will lean it out. Another advantage is you can change the pitch with the changing temps. Plenty of ground clearance with this prop and the new gear.

Posted

So the theory of 2 blade props is out.....Hmmmm. Now every one seems to like the 3 blade units ....probably helps to dampen engine harmonics too. Now I am getting a new picture with all this. Flying the Cub or the Champ always seemed to be understood and second nature. But with an aircraft having less enertial energy I want the smoothest power package I can get. At least it would help the airframe live a bit longer. I like the idea of having nearly unreal climb rates as compared to ...say a C-150. Hot days of summer and 2 guys in a 65 horse = no short field performance. Not like an Avid or Kitfox offer anyway. Still wanting to 2 blade the air into submission.....

Posted

So the theory of 2 blade props is out.....Hmmmm. Now every one seems to like the 3 blade units ....probably helps to dampen engine harmonics too. Now I am getting a new picture with all this. Flying the Cub or the Champ always seemed to be understood and second nature. But with an aircraft having less enertial energy I want the smoothest power package I can get. At least it would help the airframe live a bit longer. I like the idea of having nearly unreal climb rates as compared to ...say a C-150. Hot days of summer and 2 guys in a 65 horse = no short field performance. Not like an Avid or Kitfox offer anyway. Still wanting to 2 blade the air into submission.....

I think C5 has a 2 blade warp on his. When I was buying a prop for mine, I talked to IVO and a few others. I made it clear that max speed was NOT my mission, I wanted MAX take off and climb, with a reasonable cruise speed. For me that ended up being the 72" IVO In-flight ajustable 3 blade.

For shits n grins one day I decided to go from the 3 blade to 2 blade on the IVO (it is easily done by using spacers on the hub and just pulling out one blade) The lake I was using is 6000' long. After a take off run that never seemed it would end, I barely cleared the trees on the end of the lake. With my 3 blade prop I would normally be at 1000' by the time I hit the end of the lake. I never tried to repeat this on wheels, maybe I should have because lots of guys seem to like the 2 blade prop, but then again, I am not sure if they really played with props much or if they were just satisfied with the performance they get out of 2 blades and dont realize there is more performance to be gained.

I guess alot of the issue could be with blade profile too. I know on the old Beaver a buddy had, the 2 blade canoe paddle ag prop he had on it way out performed the modern 3 blade he switched to. It is possible that if we could get our hands on a true 2 blade, purpose designed climb prop, that we could see even better performance, but in the ultralight world, the demand is not that high for one so I am sure someone would have to spend some serious coin to get a one off built in hopes that they may be able to recoupe some of the investement if they could prove it worked and sell a shit load of them.

BC.gif

Posted

What model plane dop you have :dunno: this will lead to vastly different perfomance especially with a 503.

Posted (edited)

OK....Don't beat on me too bad. It is after all...a cousin of sorts to most planes here. Ultralight version...with the big tires...everything else is going to be cut in weight. I vacuum bag carbon parts and fabricate a lot of tube structures....so there will be a lot of weight saving items hitting the list of to do's. Just want a minimal plane that meets the UL scene and safe. That is why I chose the ridge runner.The 503 is being purchased at a great bargain insomuch so I can not pass it up.

post-341-13156994445559_thumb.jpg

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted

OK....Don't beat on me too bad. It is after all...a cousin of sorts to most planes here. Ultralight version...with the big tires...everything else is going to be cut in weight. I vacuum bag carbon parts and fabricate a lot of tube structures....so there will be a lot of weight saving items hitting the list of to do's. Just want a minimal plane that meets the UL scene and safe. That is why I chose the ridge runner.The 503 is being purchased at a great bargain insomuch so I can not pass it up.

The ridge runner is a great plane! Welcome aboard here, I am thiking you will fit right in with your user name :lol:

Hmm.. a carbon guy huh... I will have to PM you on some custom parts if you into making them. I want to put my plane on a diet this winter!

:BC:

Posted

My two blade warp is the tapered tip. The guy I got my FWF package from tried 4 different prop combinations before settling on this one. I don't have anything to compare it to but I can't really fathom being airborn any quicker.

Posted (edited)

Hey there Joe. I thought that Ridge Runner looked familiar. :snack:

A fly-in around here just isn't complete without Joe showing up with his elbow on the window sill flying along under the overpasses... Speaking of which where were you yesterday for Merrill Airport day?

Edit:

Oops, sorry. You were just using a photo of Joe's plane as an example of a Ridge Runner.

Edited by Av8r3400