Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

N.E. Kitfox Fly-in

1 post in this topic

Posted

- There is a N.E. Kitfox gathering in the works.

- Massive flooding throughout the local river valley areas caused by Tropical Storm Lee washed out the original date last weekend.

- Looks like a second attempt this weekend.

- More info from the thread on TeamKF...

So tentatively we are looking at next weekend 17/18. CDE will make a final call Tuesday based on conditions around 4N7. Hopefully things dry out a bit and we get another weekend like this one.

Chris (CDE2Fly) and I would like to gauge interest in a North East fly in at 4N7 (Greene, just outside of Binghamton NY) in September or October. This could be a one day cook-out or overnight camping if desired (or other local accommodations). If you are interested please reply to this thread and check out the North East Foxes social group where, if there is enough interest, we can find a date and plan the event. Social groups can be found under the Community tab and should be open to anyone.

Some thoughts on activities and logistics....

As Finn mentioned, we'll be gathering at the Greene Airport (4N7) which is 15 miles or so north of Binghamton, NY. There typically isn't much in the way of traffic and the grass runway is in good shape with a couple of lumps/bumps that aren't much of an issue. I'll plan to have lunch (nothing too fancy....hamburgers/hot dogs, chips and drinks) at the airport for those arriving on Saturday the 10th around noon. As the burgers are settling, we can check out some of Finn's new gadgets, scour the airplanes for some cool modification ideas, and of course, talk all things Kitfox.

For an afternoon flight, I'm thinking of wandering down the Susquehanna River to Skyhaven Airport (76N). There is some beautiful scenery and flying low over the river is always fun. Skyhaven is a very active grass roots type airport and we might be able to check out some very high quality antique airplane restoration activity usually in progress.

For those planning to spend the night, there are a couple of good spots in the Village of Greene to grab some dinner. I can provide transportation for 12 of so....we'll get creative if we need more space than that. For overnight lodging, there are plenty of places in Binghamton....again, I can get people where they need to be. For those who want to camp, either the airport or my place are options....I've got plenty of room (and some nice views too smile.gif).

For those who stick around until Sunday, I suggest we head over to White Birch Airport (NK68) where they serve breakfast on the field every Sunday from May till October. It's an easy 20 minute flight from Greene.

For those who can't make the full event, I'll provide my cell number so you can check on our whereabouts in case we're out wondering about when you arrive. Also, you don't need an airplane to participate. Feel free to join us if you interested in learning more about building/flying....I'll be happy to fly a few demo flights throughout the weekend.

Let Finn or I know if you plan to stop by so we can make arrangements. Now that Irene is on her way out, we'll be hoping for nothing but blue skys!