Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flaperon horn Heights

8 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

I am slowly making some progress on the avid,but have another problem I could use some advise on. I have to extend the flaperon horns but the right horn is at least 1/2" higher above the fuselage than the left one. It looks like there was a repair done on the right flaperon rib nearest the fuselage and I figure that must be why it is so much higher. I know there is some adjustment on the cables and linkage but does anyone know if this is going to be a problem. Should I try and compensate the difference when I lengthen the flaperon horns? I will attach a pic but its kinda hard to see.

Thanks Willis

Edited by Marshawk

Posted

I had the same type of thing on my KFIII rebuild. The rib tails with the flapperon hangers had been replaced and the inboard rib tail was out of line with the others. I was able to go in and with a little heat and some gentle prying loosen the rib from the spar and the cap strips. You can then reposition and reepoxy the rib tail back in the proper position. It wasn't too bad a job really just go easy and gentle. I suspect it would be easier than trying to sort out rerigging the flapperon mixer system to compensate for a mis-aligned rib. That thing is bad enough to get right as it is!

good luck

EG

Posted

I agree, fix the root rib! If you dont, the flaperon will be in a 9 line bind and will not operate smootly. You dont need that stress on the rib tail unless you want it to depart inflight one day. No to mention, it will really hose up the geometry when you go to fold the wings.

The first wing I rebuilt I just used a long straight edge to line up the rib tails... BIG MISTAKE that cost me some time taking shit apart and redoing it. I then bolted the flaperons on and used the flaperon and a straight edge to get them lined up right. I was rewarded with a smooth flaperon operation instead of one that would cam over center and "snap" up or down.

Now is the time to fix it right, not try to cover it up with a bandaide.

A second thought.. My flaperon horns hit the turtle deck when I have full flaps on and try to put in full aileron. If one is higher than the other, then you are really going to loose your roll control when that high one hits the turttle deck and stops you from being able to go any further with the stick... This puts us back to popping that rib tail loose with some heat, lining it up with the flaperon, and re-gluing it. You are only talking about a couple hours work here TOPS.

:BC:

Posted

I am working on lengthening the flaperon horns on the fat avid and was wondering if you guys have had any problems with the flaperon horn hitting the turtle deck.I want to make sure I get them at the right angle before I rivet them back on.

Thanks Willis

Posted (edited)

I am working on lengthening the flaperon horns on the fat avid and was wondering if you guys have had any problems with the flaperon horn hitting the turtle deck.I want to make sure I get them at the right angle before I rivet them back on.

Thanks Willis

Willis,

I set mine pretty much horizontal to the airplane axis in my Avid+ rather than at the upward angle they were at in my MK IV. Since you have to disconnect the push/pull cables to fold the wings it is not important to get them to fold correctly (just be sure to position them before folding the wings). I did have some contact with the horns hitting the turtle deck on my MK IV.

When you set them horizontal it gives you the most mechanical advantage on the flaperons. Be sure the push/pull cable don't bind as they move forward and back with the arc of the horn movement

Edited by SuberAvid

Posted (edited)

Willis,

I set mine pretty much horizontal to the airplane axis in my Avid+ rather than at the upward angle they were at in my MK IV. Since you have to disconnect the push/pull cables to fold the wings it is not important to get them to fold correctly (just be sure to position them before folding the wings). I did have some contact with the horns hitting the turtle deck on my MK IV.

When you set them horizontal it gives you the most mechanical advantage on the flaperons. Be sure the push/pull cable don't bind as they move forward and back with the arc of the horn movement

Hi Randy thanks a bunch for the reply, I counldn't see the reason for having them up so high ,but it makes sense now that you mentioned the folding of the heavy hauler wing. I will set mine horizontally as well and that should solve my problem.Randy one more question, do you remember the up and down degrees that I should be getting on the flaperons?

I read somewere that on a kitfox they were shooting for 25 degrees up and 12.5 down I think, is this close to the avid plus?

Thanks again ,Willis

Take Care,Willis

Edited by Marshawk

Posted

Hi Randy thanks a bunch for the reply, I counldn't see the reason for having them up so high ,but it makes sense now that you mentioned the folding of the heavy hauler wing. I will set mine horizontally as well and that should solve my problem.Randy one more question, do you remember the up and down degrees that I should be getting on the flaperons?

I read somewere that on a kitfox they were shooting for 25 degrees up and 12.5 down I think, is this close to the avid plus?

Thanks again ,Willis

Take Care,Willis

Hi Willis,

I set my nuetral stick, flaps off at negative 3 degrees (flaperon nose down) and flaps on at positive 26 degrees (flaperon tails down). I would change this to about 1 degree negative since it flies at a better attitude with about 1 notch of flaps. Getting the side to side full stick deflection to be equal is the real challenge and I was only able to get them within about 3 degrees of equal side to side. I ended up with about 14 degrees positive on one side and 7 degrees negative on the other side (and vise versa) with full stick deflection if I remember correctly.

Randy

Posted

Hi Willis,

I set my nuetral stick, flaps off at negative 3 degrees (flaperon nose down) and flaps on at positive 26 degrees (flaperon tails down). I would change this to about 1 degree negative since it flies at a better attitude with about 1 notch of flaps. Getting the side to side full stick deflection to be equal is the real challenge and I was only able to get them within about 3 degrees of equal side to side. I ended up with about 14 degrees positive on one side and 7 degrees negative on the other side (and vise versa) with full stick deflection if I remember correctly.

Randy

Thanks again Randy,I'm going to owe you guys a bunch of beers by the time I get this Avid in the air :beerchug: