Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Will someone tell him????

2 posts in this topic

Posted

...just posted on the list

"The only expenses I've had related to my Kitfox....."

"That said, I'm fortunate in that I have a local A&P that is willing to inspect and sign off on minor work that I've done on the aiplane.  If I had not had that advantage, I would have had to take the airplane to an A&P for all the little nitpicky things that inevitably pop up with any airplane (more often I believe with all but the most exceptional experimentals). To list a few, I've had to replace the fuel lines, replace the gascolator, repack the tail wheel bearings and re-glue a de-bonded aileron trailing edge. I believe that owners of experimental airplanes mitigate cost by doing these kinds of jobs themselves. If you're not planning on building your airplane, the only way you can do this is if you find an A&P that is willing to sign off on your work. This is not trivial and if you can't find this then your ownership costs will be much higher (unless you intend to do the work anyway which I wouldn't recommend and is illegal)."

What's wrong with this picture???? Come on (List) people...learn your regs as they pertain to amateur-built experimental. JEEEZE.

No certificate or rating of any kind is required to perform maintenance, repair, or modification on an experimental amateur-built aircraft. The only time a specific certificate is necessary is when performing the condition inspection each year, as required by the aircraft's operating limitations.

Ten minutes later, someone posts this incorrect response.....

"Hi Andrew, even if your not the builder of the aircraft there are many maintenance things that are allowed by the FAA if you are the owner of the aircraft.

Post subject: Preventive Maintenance thats allowed ....."

That's for certificated (real) aircraft and is found in Appendix A to Part 43 --Major Alterations, Major Repairs, and Preventive Maintenance.

Half an hour later..., in reply to e-mail........

"Hi again after checking this , you are right about maint. only if you are the builder, if you did not build the aircraft then you as owner can only do what the FAA calls pilot owner preventive maint.

GB"

You can lead a pilot to a runway, but ya can't make him land.

Last  week i cudn't even spell A&P....this week i are one.   

Posted

LMAO .

It is amazing that some people can even fly a airplane let alone worry about working on one lol. See the way I see it is if every one was smart then we would not have anything to talk about lol.

Take care fly safe .

This from someone who does all his own mods maintenance and rebuilds and does not have a A&P. I also do all my own Condition inspections and get a friend to then sign it off after I have signed the logbook myself as the one who did the work .

It is up to PIC to make shure the aircraft is safe for flight not anyone else.