Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

I like this site...No one hassles me here.

17 posts in this topic

Posted

.....except the darn Alaskans  :beerchug:

Posted

Come on up and we will hassle you some more with some great flying fishing and fun of a lifetime .  :beerchug:

Posted

Don't think I haven't considered it. My folks have been there and say it's beautiful.

steve

Posted

I dont know why more wont post....Come on up any time..Just make sure the fish are running

:beerchug:

Posted

More will not post cuzz they are  scared will get  :banned2: off the other site for being traitors.  :siterocks:

Posted

na... Guy seems to be pretty cool and level headed, he even has a sense of humour..I think he is really holding back and would fit right in here, but probably does not want to piss off the founding fathers over there...

Posted

Well, I'll try posting over here!  I'm John Hart, an old retired fart that bought a Kitfox Model IV with a set of Full Lotus floats, wheels, and a trailer to pull it around on.  (I left my skis in Willow, AK 'cause they don't work here in OK but two or three days a year.)  The aircraft sat for a couple of years, and is in need of a little TLC, which I will turn my attention to in a couple of weeks.  (Deer Season is open here in OK, so the airplane has to wait.)  I've been in aviation since 1962 - 26 years in Army Aviation, charter and flight instruction in OR for 9 yaers, then charter worked out of Willow, AK part time for 6 years.  I worked for the FAA 2 years in Anchorage, but got real fed up with the politics there and quit them in 1999, and moved to OK.  Got a lot at the VFW Oklahoma Home land - http://www.vfwokhome.org/, built a shop and house, and here I sit, but going hunting in a few minutes.

John

Posted

Welcome John.  If you decide to turn loose of those skis let me know... I am in the market and will be building a set in the next few weeks if I cant find a set already built.

Funny, you moved from here to Oklahoma and brought your kitfox... My Brother moved FROM Oklahoma to here... and dragged his kitfox up here with him..

What size floats do you have?  1220 or 1260?  What engine?

Posted

The floats, I don't have a clue as to the weight (displacement) rating.  Just didn't take time to look at them since they are unlikely to be used here in OK.  Got them stored up in the ceiling of the shop, and they are not easy to reach without taking the lines loose that hold them up there, which are a pain to get in place.  The engine is an NSI Subaru.  The prop is an NSI CAP 140.  That prop I'd sure like to have some more info on.  I've got the maintenance/operator/installation manual, but it sucks as far as tech info.  The manual tells how to assemble the prop, but not how to disassemble, clean, lube, inspect, nor does it tell which lubricant is recommended.  I assume Aeroshell 5 should be OK, since the hub is aluminum and so are the blade roots. 

Those skis I left at Willow are for a Cessna 170 that I sold when I left AK.  If you're interested in them, get in touch with Eddie Trimmer, Trimmer Aviation, Willow Airport.  http://www.trimmeraviation.com/  He's got them there.  They are certified skis, Federal brand I think.  Its been 9 years since I left AK, and I just don't remember.  I'm getting to the CRS (Can't Remember Stuff) stage of life, I guess.

John Hart

Posted

they would be a little big and heavy for my Avid I think.. I will just go ahead with my plans to build them.. I will make a run of 4 sets for various guys in the area.

My brother found that most ofthe areas we would find open to float flying up here was closed to float flying in OK.  He never bothered to put his floats on for the 5 years he lived there.  I guess we take for granted the wide open space for flying up here.

Posted

Wellllll, just put on a bigger engine to compensate for the weight!  Just think how well they would work on powder as light as the Avid is! :beerchug:

John Hart

Posted

"......I will make a run of 4 sets for various guys in the area."

Just out of,....ahh,..curiosity.. what sort of maximum A|C weight are we looking at here?

Posted

Off the record a kitfox 2 will be around 1430 max on floats that is floating on snow . Steve I am pricing the 4130 and find it is cheaper to buy here than to buy and have it shipped grrrrrrrrr. found the uhmv 1/4 cheap in Anchorage though. Yall take care now and fly safe

Sig Below

Posted

John there is hope for a manual on the nsi CAP . There is a new company that is making them actually part of the old company changed names lol . Ill find the info and forward it to you and on the site here.

Welcome to the world of Steve and the crazy AK guys

Posted

"......I will make a run of 4 sets for various guys in the area."

Just out of,....ahh,..curiosity.. what sort of maximum A|C weight are we looking at here?

well to be an honest injun.. dont have a weight in mind.  I do know the stock Avid skis lack on floatation in the powder especialy if you go with wheel skis.  I am going to add about 12" to the length on the straight skis and maybe a tad more to the width on the wheel skis.

:beerchug:

Posted

John there is hope for a manual on the nsi CAP . There is a new company that is making them actually part of the old company changed names lol . Ill find the info and forward it to you and on the site here.

Welcome to the world of Steve and the crazy AK guys

Outstanding!  It sure would be a plus if I could get more technical data on that sucker.  It seems like a pretty good prop, functions OK for the couple of hours that I ran it, but with it seeping grease along the parting surfaces of the hub, I'm just a little skeptical of the thing.  Aslo, it would be great if there were parts available for it.  I don't have a problem with effecting repairs, but I want to be certain I don't get into one of thos blade-flinging episodes if I can avoid it. 

Oh, I used to to live in AK myself.  I'd like to go back, but got some medical problems with the wife of 46 years.  Maybe someday, if I don't get too old and crippled up myself!

Thanks,

John Hart

Posted

hope the wife gets better.  I know lots of people that had to move outside for medical reasons then were able to move back!

At any rate enjoy where you are and fly the crap outa that fox.