Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Airports turning into ministorage

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I don't know if anybody else is having trouble with this or not, but I moved 50 miles north of my old home and my Hangar space was/is 30 miles south of that, there are 4 airports within 30 miles of where I live now and after checking with them they have very few planes at the field , complain about fuel sales , and admit they have rented out most of their hangar space to people storing tractors , cars, and junk. One of them just had a new taxiway put in by government dollars but doesn't feel they should have any responsibility to aircraft owners , flying has kind of diesd off in this part of the country I wonder why.

Posted

I don't know if anybody else is having trouble with this or not, but I moved 50 miles north of my old home and my Hangar space was/is 30 miles south of that, there are 4 airports within 30 miles of where I live now and after checking with them they have very few planes at the field , complain about fuel sales , and admit they have rented out most of their hangar space to people storing tractors , cars, and junk. One of them just had a new taxiway put in by government dollars but doesn't feel they should have any responsibility to aircraft owners , flying has kind of diesd off in this part of the country I wonder why.

If the airport receives any funding from the FAA they take a dim view on "non aeronautical" use of the airport. There was a huge stink at our local airport a few years ago where the FAA pulled all funding until the boats, trailers etc, were removed from the airport.

:BC:

Posted

I can relate. I am trying to convince one local airport manager to evict an out-of-state deadbeat renter who has packed a 'L-shaped' 1/2 hanger end-unit with 2 cars, assorted go-carts, mini-bikes etc., all in obvious non-operational condition. Not suitable for most aircraft so I suspect it has heretofore been considered 'lost space' due to size and regular overhead garage door. But it already has heat and a large, very well built loft area, and I wouldn't mind folding my wings if I could get that on-site storage for cheap. It's only 15-20mins from my house but I think he is hesitant because he doesn't have contact info or know what to do with all that crap inside.

Posted

I can relate. I am trying to convince one local airport manager to evict an out-of-state deadbeat renter who has packed a 'L-shaped' 1/2 hanger end-unit with 2 cars, assorted go-carts, mini-bikes etc., all in obvious non-operational condition. Not suitable for most aircraft so I suspect it has heretofore been considered 'lost space' due to size and regular overhead garage door. But it already has heat and a large, very well built loft area, and I wouldn't mind folding my wings if I could get that on-site storage for cheap. It's only 15-20mins from my house but I think he is hesitant because he doesn't have contact info or know what to do with all that crap inside.

If the guy is paying him he has an address to contact him, if he isn't paying then the airport owns it and can have a yard sale. I don't mind if there is something resembling an airplane, but these hangars have just wire dividing them and I took a look less than 10 airplanes on the field, not counting privately built hangars of which at least half haven't had a plane in 10 years. They reported to the FAA last year that there were 22 aircraft on the field and were given about $500,000.00 for improvements, hangars were on the list. On a better hand its 9 miles farther to another field and they will give me a dirt floor sliding door hanger for $45 a month and when the sheriff moves his confiscated vehicles out I get the concrete floor bi-fold door hangar I can live with that.

Posted

If the guy is paying him he has an address to contact him, if he isn't paying then the airport owns it and can have a yard sale. I don't mind if there is something resembling an airplane, but these hangars have just wire dividing them and I took a look less than 10 airplanes on the field, not counting privately built hangars of which at least half haven't had a plane in 10 years. They reported to the FAA last year that there were 22 aircraft on the field and were given about $500,000.00 for improvements, hangars were on the list. On a better hand its 9 miles farther to another field and they will give me a dirt floor sliding door hanger for $45 a month and when the sheriff moves his confiscated vehicles out I get the concrete floor bi-fold door hangar I can live with that.

Your prices make me sick... They want 500 a month here for an open ended "hangar" you can pull through.. basically just a roof. The enclosed hangars go up from there.

Posted

Your prices make me sick... They want 500 a month here for an open ended "hangar" you can pull through.. basically just a roof. The enclosed hangars go up from there.

If it wasn't for the low hangar prices there wouldn't be anyone flying around here, I sold my twinCam Fatboy to buy the plane and parts, but I am unfortunately waiting for Railroad Disability to give me a court date its only been 4 years, but I had enough to buy a house next door to where my wife works in a small town with a spare city block I don't have much left to sell, I am keeping my shovelhead chopper and my 1 ton truck, everything else is paid for except medications and doctors.

Posted

The airport where I finished my build and did my first test flight recently did this. They went through and made people take everything out of their hangars that was not a registered airplane. That went over like a fart in the wind. Some of those guys had been there for 20 years and had accumulated a lot of crap. There used to be a waiting list last I heard they had 9 open hangars and no line and they raised the prices by $50 a month. They used to only be $262 a month out there when I was there. I currently pay $140 for my spot in an 80X80 up on a lift above another plane at the airport thats only 9 minutes from the house. The old one was 45 minutes away. It's not too bad of a deal and really the only way I can afford to hangar my plane.

Posted

A 10 X20 mini storage will cost you $75 a month around here explains why hangars are so popular, the airports aren't advertising for junk storage, but I am real tempted to report them something I don't normally do. They are looking to get money from the faa for more hangars, and though theirs are old they would have plenty if they left it for just aircraft, I would be a little nervous storing my plane there, yesterday there was someone welding on a tractor right below the fuel tank within 10 feet of his painting supplies. Just what I want John Deere Green overspray on my new white and red paint job just as he lights the place on fire.

Posted

Sorry for jumping in on this one so late. The town I live in has an airport on the edge of it and i live within a few minutes walking distance. Myself and the few other pilots that have planes there are outraged at the fact the town bought the biggest hangar on the airport and are putting a bloody recycling center there. We tried explain the concept of all that paper debris floating around and went as far as to contact people in Transport Canada to try and sway the town. They're putting up big chain link fences around it and a big baseball backstop additional fence to try and catch any paper that blows around. One of the pilots had a few less than polite words with the town council and told them they should be advertising the airport and putting in lots for hangar homes not chopping it up for industrial junk yards. It sure is frustrating when you have non aviation minded individuals running the show and killing small airports. Here's an outdated sat picture of the airport. I live just a couple blocks south. If we had a direct street i could almost fold the wings and drive her to my garage!

Darcy

post-263-13195124388486_thumb.jpg