Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Flushing wing tanks and adding sight tubes

29 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Do they float?

I would bet that they melt in gasoline, and maybe faster in Moonshine gas!  Bear Perkins has little red pellets for site gages.

EdMO

Edited by EDMO
1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Do they float?

I would bet that they melt in gasoline, and maybe faster in Moonshine gas!  Bear Perkins has little red pellets for site gages.

EdMO

Very possibly.  I'm going to test them when I get the shipment.  I figure at 1 cent each shipped, its at least worth a try (I'm a cheapskate).  If they survive a couple of weeks in a jar of fuel, I'll be sufficiently confident I wont find bead bits in my fuel filter or dropping out of the gascolater.  Of course if they don't float, then all bets are off :)

I've seen the Bear Perkins floaties.  $15+ for two bits of red plastic feels a bit steep.

I'll post back with results.

The WAWA across the street from my neighborhood that sells 89 Ethanol Free - It just opened - no more moonshine!

Edited by Knuckledragger

Posted (edited)

I don't know what the equivalent would be in other states, but MFA, Missouri Farm Association, here, sells moonshine-free gas.

When I had the float with a wire on it for a nose tank gage sticking up out of the tank, I put one of those little red beads on the top end of it - it was not in the gas, but the fumes from the gas started making it shrink and shrivel-up like a raisin - that's why I am skeptical of the penny beads lasting if floating in gas - if they float.

Sounds like a good, cheap experiment - Waiting to hear the results...

EdMO

Edited by EDMO