Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Thinking about buying, what do you think?

5 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Does it look ok? Any thing I should look for? It says its a C model but has some abnormalities so I'm not sure? Would be putting a HKS 700e on it if I get it, would that be a good choice?

AVID FLYER MODEL C • $13,000 • FOR SALE • Here it is, just a little work and your ready to fly! I started this project in Oct 2010 and this Avid Flyer Model C is over 90% complete. 532 Rotax dual-ignition. One hour break-in time. Speed wings with smooth leading edge and straight trailing edge, like the Mark IV. Wing tanks, Tundra tires, new Custom seat and Topgun curtain. Chrome floor pan. Wings wired for lights. New lexan for windshield, prop and everything to complete project.

Pictures: http://barnstormers.com/listing_images.php?id=582758&ZOOM=35567a0df9c6f11058754e7f3a7bffe8

Hope this is a ok place to put this. I' sure you get a lot of these so sorry, but thanks for any help.

Edited by 3benny3

Posted (edited)

Looks like a nice airplane from the photos. Maybe a little heavy with the diamond plate interior...

Price does seem a bit high (IMO) at $13k. That amount should buy a finished, flying Avid C with a 532 or even a 582 in it.

Edited by Av8r3400

Posted

Is that Avid a new kit build or a re-build? Odd, kinda looks like the interior fabric is painted? Are the wing tanks F/G, alum. or poly? What is the Rotax worth, ie. engine hrs etc. is overhaul soon? You say "abnormalities", but looks pretty straight forward stock to me. The straight trailing edge vs. cable is a good thing!, and metal floorboards are easily rectified if you feel they are too heavy.

Why a HKS 700e, do you have one already? Uses the engine mount and thrust angle as the Rotax, right? I know KF-III owners flying that engine claims it works well on the airframe, and at least a couple on the Avid Yahoo list also said the same for the lower gross Avid Flyer models. With the speed wing it might not be the super STOL some are after but I bet it would cruise along near 100 with a pretty frugal fuel burn.

IMHO, I agree the plane as it sits is a tad over priced. Since the listing on BS is nearly a month old, it would suggest others agree. But then again, if it doesn't say Firm, so it's only an asking price! If I was close and looking for a project with a good head start, I would certainly go check it out in person if possible. Simple enough to repaint that orange to yellow, or sell off the Rotax and hang an HKS. Assuming it is a new build with good workmanship, you could have a really nice plane and I doubt you would get hurt on a resale if you could bring it in ~$15k or slightly over w/ a new or low time HKS.

So how much time and $$ ya got? :beerchug:

Posted

Its a new kit. I noticed that, not realy sure. Not sure on the tank, which is best? Won't be getting it with the engine. Would converting the brakes to dual hydro's be a easy and good upgrade, or are the cable ones fine? I like the straight trailing edge and the diamond plate floor panels if they are aluminum.

I have had a rotax 2 stroke before. Although it was a good engine, I really like the HKS since its a 4 stroke and uses less fuel(and not mixed!) Would really like a turbo but don't have that much to put on a engine, plus found a 300hr 700e for $6000. The cruise speed is why I like the speed wing, I think it makes up for the 25-50ft extra on take off and landing for the speed going somewhere IMHO, what do you think?

If I was to get it for around $8000 would that be a reasonable price?

Thanks, Ben

Posted

Too much money. Seen lots of early flying Avids lately go with 582's for less than 13K. The 532 is a boat anchor these days steer clear. Mechanical brakes suck might as well drag your feet. They would barely stop the airplane at idle. I had them on mine and went to hydraulic and there's no comparison. To do it right your looking at a grand plus in parts for the upgrade. I have not met ANYONE who kept their speedwing. They either extended them or went to the stol wing. The 25-50ft extra takeoff you speak off is unrealistic. With the HKS your gonna have a takeoff roll like a C-172. The one I'm familiar with had a takeoff roll twice mine and he cruised about 10mph faster than me. I could outperform him in any aspect except wide open straight and level. I'd pass on this one and find a flying one for the same price or less with a 582 and STOL or extended speed wing. Pull the motor, sell it for 3-4K as a FWF kit and you'll be in much better shape but unless your only flying off long pavement strips I think your gonna be disappointed in take off and climb performance. IF you could get that one for 8K with no engine you'd be in much better shape. Here's my thread on swapping from Mechanical to Hydro brakes. Including the gear, wheels and tires, and brake parts I was into for $1500. Keep your eyes open they come and go frequently on Barnstormers.