Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Aircraft Logbooks

4 posts in this topic

Posted

Hi all, Can anyone tell me how to go about updating the Airframe and Engine Logbooks for my Kitfox? It came with a Combination Airframe/ Engine Logbook that has almost nothing written in it. The aircraft Kit is number 359, and was sold in 1991. it was completed in 1999, and certified in 2000.

It was sold three times over the years before I bought it in 2010. The Logbook only has one Annual/Conditional inspection written in it on 4/20/2006.

There are no other entries. There are builder logs, and written descriptions of the time flown off in testing, and flying off the first 40 hours.

The aircraft has 235.3 hours on the Hobbs, and the Annual in 2006 indicated it had 235.3 hours on it at that time. It had been in storage for several years when I bought it. I have recently performed a great deal of work on the aircraft, like installing the ELT and Remote Switch for same in the Panel, I re-wired the Transponder to the Master Switch since it was wired directly to the battery. I replaced the Battery, I flushed the cooling system and replaced all the hoses, I replaced all the fuel lines and in-line filters, I overhauled the Gascolator. I drained and replaced the Gearcase Oil, I replaced the Spark Plugs. I replaced the Hobbs Meter as it was non-functional with 235.3 hours on it. I replaced the weather-checked tires with new Nanco 21X12X8 tires, repacked the wheel bearings and checked the brakes. So, after all of this work, I find that all that is left needing done is the Bungee Cords (which I have on hand) and then take it for it's Annual/Conditional Inspection. It runs Great! Smooth and Powerful. In general, it looks to be in very good condition. I would simply like to use the New Airframe, and seperate Engine Logbooks that I have to record the history of the plane, and begin keeping better track of it's on-going Maint. Can I simply do a Narative History at the beggining of the Logbooks, and carry on from there? I was going to enter the replacement of the Hobbs Meter, and record the time, and then carry forward from there too. Any Input would be appreciated. Thanks Bob

Posted

All you have to do is keep the original log book, then start a new one that is separate. You dont need a narrative, just put in the entries and note it as log book #2. One thing I would do is put new seals in that engine.

:BC:

Posted

All you have to do is keep the original log book, then start a new one that is separate. You dont need a narrative, just put in the entries and note it as log book #2. One thing I would do is put new seals in that engine.

Hey, thanks for the input. I am taking it to get it's Conditional tomorrow, I'll have Murle look over the Logbook, and we'll go from there.

I like the final comment in your Posts, I was given a year after my Heart Attack, I lived like I was waiting to die for 10 years, Now that it has been over 15 years I have gotten Current again, and bought the Kitfox. I plan to Live like crazy to make up for time lost. Thanks again. Bob

Posted

Hey, thanks for the input. I am taking it to get it's Conditional tomorrow, I'll have Murle look over the Logbook, and we'll go from there.

I like the final comment in your Posts, I was given a year after my Heart Attack, I lived like I was waiting to die for 10 years, Now that it has been over 15 years I have gotten Current again, and bought the Kitfox. I plan to Live like crazy to make up for time lost. Thanks again. Bob

I figure I may as well enjoy the time here, I would hate to eat healthy, and go to the gym 6 times a week, and then find myself lying in a hospital bed one day dying of nothing :lol: