Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Plans for skis

92 posts in this topic

Posted

Ok so I talked to a local plastic dealer today Hey has UHMW in full sheets only 4x10 $388.00    (Not this guy) He also has HDPE which he says would probably work just fine, that is sold in 4x8 sheets for $47.00 upon researching these products I don't see a huge difference that makes me say don't do it,  good chance I will be buying the cheaper stuff,

Posted (edited)

I thought the same thing when reading about HDPE - If the temperature range and the toughness numbers are close to UHMW I would try it.  Like Mr. Trump says, "What have you got to lose?"  Ha!  Yeh, I know someone will come back and say, "Airplane"!   EDMO

Edited by EDMO

Posted

They make a lot of cutting boards out of HDPE so why not. I realize if left in the sun for a LONG time it will degrade but you're also talking about something much thicker than a milk jug and you won't be leaving it on all year. Not to mention snow must have some kind of UV protectant in it....right? 

Posted

My skis showed up today:) Not sure why but all this material from wicks and shipping was free, Never had that before,

100_1157.JPG

1 person likes this

Posted

I about buried my plane landing on a lake today and barely got back out.  I think I am going to pull the 12.5" X 74" UHMW skins off my straight skis and make up a new set of bottoms that are 18" or 20" X 74".  Have to bend the outer edges up a little beyond the ski frame so they turn easy and don't snag.

Posted

It was later modified to have two stop bolts.

I'm playing with a design that will not have a any pivot.  I really don't see the need.  An axle attachment and a support arm attachment.  The trick will be getting the AOA of the ski correct.

I think a heavier spring at the front and just a stop so the ski cant invert when you hit a rut.  I have had that happen twice and had to flip it over then use .040" safety wire to hold the front of the ski up to get it home.  I now carry extra springs and small shackles to make repairs in the field but a redesign to it is on my list of things to do as well some time soon.  We are actually starting to get enough snow around the house that I will be going to ski's sometime soon I think.

:BC:

I flipped mine also so put a limit cable on it along with the spring.  Have not had it flip since.

Posted

Tjay, Wicks started doing free shipping on tubing over $50 about two months or so ago. Of course that means if they are "normal" shipping, or in otherwords less than 60" long pieces.

Posted

Randy, any pictures on how deep the snow was on the lake? Sounds like quite an eye opener.

Jack

Posted (edited)

browsing in the web for 3d models I found this skies in sketchup warehouse, it seem fairly easy to make & install

I have the sketchup file if anyone is interested.-

Regards / Saludos

Dimi3

ski.jpg

Edited by wolves200
1 person likes this

Posted

looks like a mod to mount snowboards on the plane.  Pretty quick and simple.

Posted

Randy, any pictures on how deep the snow was on the lake? Sounds like quite an eye opener.

Jack

No pictures on that one; I didn't step off the ski.  I was pretty happy to get out though.

Posted (edited)

Here is a quick setup on one of the Flightstars in the area.  Pretty simple and works great. 2 old water ski;s and a snowmobile ski.

DSCN4049.jpg

DSCN4050.jpg

Edited by LSaupe

Posted

A friend of mine had a set of waterskis that he used on his Avid A model.  One ski broke right in front of the attachment bracket when he hit an ice ridge as he was taxing along.   And not going very fast either.   IVO prop hit the ice, and committed suicide.   Meanwhile, I had landed in another part of the lake, and taxied into some slush.  Busted a piece of the trailing edge off my prop when a bunch of slush hit it.  Kind of an expensive day for both of us.   Had to get a trailer and snowmobile  to get them off the ice.  I think I got home about 11 PM.  Personally I wouldn't use waterskis.  (and don't taxi into slush either)  JImChuk

1 person likes this

Posted

browsing in the web for 3d models I found this skies in sketchup warehouse, it seem fairly easy to make & install

Regards / Saludos

Dimi3

Here is a set of the real thing

ski.jpg

D0AADC77-8F20-4DB4-A666-0EFB1D37B021.jpeg

1 person likes this

Posted

Regards / Saludos

Dimi3

ski.jpg

84 hrs on these boards now. I think I will change them out as they are fairly old and where not high quality  snow boards to begin with. 

1 person likes this

Posted

Regards / Saludos

Dimi3

ski.jpg

84 hrs on these boards now. I think I will change them out as they are fairly old and where not high quality  snow boards to begin with. 

Regards / Saludos

Dimi3

ski.jpg

What  did you use for a twilwheel ski? I see it hiding back there. How deep of snow have you used them in? Looks like a great simple and cheap way to do it, as long as you are only on snow. 

Posted

Tail ski is the front portion of a old snow board. 10 inches of powder is a deepest they been in.

1 person likes this