Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

One of my boys and my C build.

81 posts in this topic

Posted

Another question but one above is more urgent.

We relocated the mixer to under the LH seat as seen in man a photo here and elsewhere. In many of those photos seen on the net, it appears that the push/pull cables cross, such that the RH bell crank in the mixer goes to the left flapperon and vice versa.

Well, if such is the case, the arms which the linkages hook to on the end of our (found) flaperons are mounted off the front (I think) of the flaperon tube. Thus, cris crossing of the cables will make the flaperons move opposite the direction they should. Easy fix if we swap those arms and have the cable hook up behind the flaperon. (Keep in mind, I might have the current config of the arm on the end of the flaperon tube backwards from actual as I have not looked at them recently.)

If anything above in those situation seems correct or familiar, let me take it a bit further. If we leave as is and do not cross the cables, the flap handle will be pulled up/back to lower the flaperons. If we swap the flap control arms, cross the cables, then it appears the flap handle will be moved forward/down to lower.

Not sure the reason for crossing those control cables if that is what I've seen in some pictures. Only thing I could think of, those push/pull cables have more capacity to pull than push and maybe it's preferable to pull a flaperon down VS the cable pushing it down.

Gosh, must sound like I'm lost in this wing/control system. Not necessarily, been a while since I looked into these things and have not given a lot of thought for some time now.

Again, thanks for any input with this one.

Dale

Dale, I also have started this conversion see here the right cable stays on right side and left on left. I mounted my cable brackets a little to low on the flapperon sides and had to adjust the angle of the horns not to big a deal. also had to rebuild the flap handle. I would like to see some pictures of your system, maybe I could steal some thoughts.

-Robert-

Posted

Hi Dale,

I posted some information and pictures on the flaperon cable setup on the topic Chris started "I just bought a Fat Avid" or something like that in th Fat Avid/Avid+ section. I think the post was around 3 January. The cables have to cross twice.

Posted (edited)

Just wanted to say thanks for all the info, suggestions etc offered. Also like the new looks of this site.

Not much new to report on prgress. Been very slow for months now. This never ending winter has me down immensly.

My son and I will have to move our plane factory. He has had his house listed for some time and he's just said he has an accepted offer. Looks like the project will have to come out here at least for awhile. That also means I need to toss a lot of junk out of my shed and make some more space in the shop portion of my shed. One wall will also be moved west, widening the work area by another 7' or so.

Wondering if I've ever mentioned our now trimmable horiz stabilizer. Small elect linear actuator, strut braces move with the actuator guid tube. HUMM, one of a kind system. Scary? Once the plane has flown and final adjustments, a couple small shaft collars (or??) will set max limits for nose up/down travel. This actuator has a small sliding variable resistor on it, so the trim indicator will be a small gauge on the dash.

Still a little hung up on power plant. Have the Corvaire yet but not done anything with it. I've seen Continentals in these and weight would be nearly the same. Still think the Sube install is the same or heavier than the Corvaire or Cont but not leaning to the Sube, although I really like the Sube autos I've had in the past. Especially thhe XT6 with air suspension. Definatly a dependable engine. Almost scored a VW which was projected to get 90hp. That would be lighter and I'd still be happy if we got 80hp or so. That engine may have slipped by us though and it would be $$$$ to start on one of them from scratch.

What would really be nice would be a Jabiru or the UL Power 85 hp. You may recall, I do not like 2 cycles and/or reduction drives. We want direct drive 4 cycle, so,,,,,

Well, that's my story (for now) and I'm sticking to it.

Thanks guys,

Come on spring!

L8r,

Dale

Edited by C150L

Posted

Just a quick FYI, I'm not gone. Been busy. Our project has been on hold since spring as my middle son sold his house and everything was packed up then packed into my shed. Since, we cleared a bunch up of my shed, widened the insulated shop area and then (slows the Avid project for awhile) hauled in a 1958 Cessna 150. Couple things to do before taking it to the airport and getting annual done. Youngest son and I are halves on the 150. middle and younger son will be working on their PPL and by this winter, middle son and I should be back at the Avid.

Avid: One wing just about done on transformation to HH, one wing yet to go. Fuse almost complete.

Posted

Sorry guys, can't believe it's been this long since I posted on our Avid here. Not that anything has happened on it, but still. I don't use my puter as much as I used to since I went to smartphone, so a quite bit less goes into all the message boards I frequented.

Anyway, I'll try and put a couple pics up here. Not showing much, but last fall we had to move it again (closer to a shop where some work can start again) to make room for my electric motorcycle project. .

I will have to check back soon now and I suspect a couple questions will pop up due to these pictures.

Anyone else do BasicMed yet? Did mine on Monday. Good to go for 4 years now.

20161002_172816.jpg

20161002_172723.jpg

20161002_172735.jpg

Posted

Yessss, its been a long time since 2013.  Hope to see more pictures this year.  Nice seat.  ;<)  EDMO