Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

New Tires

15 posts in this topic

Posted

Here's a couple of (crummy cellphone) shots of my plane with the new tires sourced from Airdale. They are the same diameter as the old ATV tires I used to run (21") but are for 6" aircraft wheels.

Weather is crap here so I haven't been able to try them yet... :buttrock:

post-36-13209810224448_thumb.jpg

post-36-13209810493422_thumb.jpg

Posted

Here's a couple of (crummy cellphone) shots of my plane with the new tires sourced from Airdale. They are the same diameter as the old ATV tires I used to run (21") but are for 6" aircraft wheels.

Weather is crap here so I haven't been able to try them yet... :buttrock:

Those are nice looking tires,I would like to replace my crappy Carlisles with something like that.What did they set you back? Randy

Posted

nice alternative for playing on pavement :lol: just kidding. I like the 4 ply, just wish they still made an 8.50 4 ply.

Should be around 95-100 each.

:BC:

Posted

Leni's right I have a little over $200 with tires and tubes.

Posted (edited)

Looks a lot better than your old knobbies. ;)

Good to know for us folks with 6" wheels, thanks. I have the narrower 6" AeroTrainer tires on my 4-1200 and looked into these a couple of months ago. Nothing wrong with the tires I have, but they just look so... skinny. Since I have a set of KF pants that work with the skinny set, I was thinking it might be cheaper to find a used pair of 6" wheels than the 8" and use these than the cheaper Nancos. Probably all come out about the $ame, although that way I'd have both sets to swap out as the mood saw fit. The pricing with tubes thru Airdale is even better than I recall finding a few month ago.

Edited by dholly

Posted

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a set. Hope to have them on later today.

post-53-13380309022034_thumb.jpg

post-53-13380309029831_thumb.jpg

Posted

The 21-8.00x6 ?

Posted

The 21-8.00x6 ?

Yes.

I'm kinda remembering the PITA time I had mounting my Avid+ tires, and wonder how difficult these might be. Did you split the rims and mount them yourself or take your wheels to an ATV shop and have them mount the tires?

Posted

Even with a mounting machine, you will never get these on without splitting the rims. The rims aren't designed to change tires without splitting, there is no relief in the middle.

Put the tube in the tire with a little talc powder and put enough air into the tubes to hold their shape. (Not even a measurable pressure.) Put the rims over the tires and bolt them together. 5 minute process, max.

Posted

What's the weight on those with tire and tube I just pickup up a set of used 850's for my Kitfox 4 1200

Posted (edited)

What's the weight on those with tire and tube I just pickup up a set of used 850's for my Kitfox 4 1200

I think someone said the 21-800-6 tires were 11 lbs each.   I believe the old McCreary 850-6 tires I had were about 18 lbs each?

I could be wrong on both of them?

Here is another handy process, if I can explain it:   When you are ready to put your wheel halves together, tie a nut on each end of a string, and drop one end of the string thru the tire and tube opening next to the valvestem.  Put your wheel halves into the center just touching each other, but don't press them too tightly together, and then pull the string all the way around the wheel to the other side of the valvestem, and you will know that your tube is not pinched between the wheel halves.   Then you can cut and remove the string and bolt the halves together.   The short time it takes to do this may save you the price of a new tube!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
3 people like this

Posted

Nice tip! I take it you may have pinched one in the past?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

I'm sure I wasn't the first, or the last!  ;<)

An "Old Timer" told me how to do this many years ago - about 10 minutes too late!

EDMO

Edited by EDMO
2 people like this

Posted

That's a great tip Ed. Wish I'd known that one years ago. Luckily I've only pinched one and it was about $7 for my Teenie. Gotta love it when my main gear is the size of most tail wheel tires! lol

Posted

:banghead:

1 person likes this