Gettin' Lit!

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Alright Boys,

Leni got me thinking about landing lights :sharedoobie: , and as usual, i obsessed over them till i came up with this. No, i haven't landed with them yet- am waiting for the next Full Moon (Hopefully won't be a Fool Moon!)to test. Price was right and install was easy. Bryce

http://www.harborfreight.com/blue-glow-mini-off-road-fog-lights-46908.html

Posted

Alright Boys,

Leni got me thinking about landing lights :sharedoobie: , and as usual, i obsessed over them till i came up with this. No, i haven't landed with them yet- am waiting for the next Full Moon (Hopefully won't be a Fool Moon!)to test. Price was right and install was easy. Bryce

http://www.harborfreight.com/blue-glow-mini-off-road-fog-lights-46908.html

Awesome...what kind of amp draw do those pull?

Posted

Awesome...what kind of amp draw do those pull?

I put a pair of similar offroad lights on my Avid + that have the same H3 bulbs and they pull 15 amps on my ammeter. With them on along with my position lights and the rest of my electrical system on I am showoing a total draw of around 18 amps. I don't know if that would be a problem for the 582 or not since I didn't run them on my Avid. The Subie is running a 50 Amp alternator so it is no big deal.

They actually light things up pretty good; I positioned one at 3 point attitude and one at approach attitude so I'm not blind when I flare or taxi. It works pretty well.

Posted

Joey,

Sorry for not replying sooner. I started the engine, and sat at idle for 5 minutes to see if it would suck enough energy to kill the ignition but she kept running. Thanks Randy for your idea on positioning the lights. Bryce

Posted

Guy's,

I tried my lights last night, just after dusk. Almost a full moon, but very clear skies. I tried these flying out of my pasture/airstrip. Have 75'tree at approach end of 2000' runway. The lights worked well enough to set the 3 point attitude and find the ground. They don't have much forward visibility, which is expected. I would say they are good enough landing in a grass strip you know and is well outlined. I don't have any markings on my runway, during the day i know where to land. These will be just fine landing on a lit runway, known or unknown.

As a side note, i noticed i made one of my better tail dragger landings because i couldn't visually cheat. I had to set the attitude and use the slip/skid indicator located in the seat of my britches! All the best, Bryce