Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

To Chute or not to Chute ?

8 posts in this topic

Posted

I have often wondered who actually has a deployable parachute on board. I know a guy that used to have a Airbike had one bolted on and another on a Phantom. Are there really that many structural failures that require such added weight? Or is it a peace of mind concept? I don’t plan on any in flight stress testing of airframe components.....no aerobatics....maybe a wingover and some stalls.I am quite content with mostly just plundering the counryside and seeing where I may land next. Just wondering if there are any others that use such a device and if it is worth the investment....they are quite pricey. If I have a doubt of the structural integrity of an airplane....I won’t climb into it for flight. I have read and heard of several horror stories involving these chutes. I just think that if you have a spar failure altitude may be your enemy if not high enough to deploy. Primary flight control loss? Here I go again with the what if's. Then again...back to the theory of actual airframe failures of NOT abused aircraft. Your take on this? The Cub and the Champ never came with one......I cut my teeth in these planes. Never seen one in any of the Cessna's I plugged around in either.

Posted

The only time I can see it really helping you out is engine failure over the mountains where there is no good options for landing, just rock piles. There has never been an inflight structural breakup of an Avid or Kitfox so I am not to concerned with a wing folding and needing a BRS. Some guys have put them in for peace of mind, but I feel it is a totally un-need expense and weight penalty.

:BC:

Posted

Everyone should have one of these in their airplane. Airplanes are horribly dangerous. :stirthepot:

For sale: 1200# BRS Parachute taken out of my Kitfox IV - Make me and offer, plus shipping.

post-36-13226068540367_thumb.jpg

Posted

I have an Avid, that had the BRS in it when I bought it. Mostly, if I have trouble in flight I plan to land ASAP. In-flight structural failure is very unlikely unless you hit something, but if you did it may save you. The other possible application is for flight over areas without any landing space even for a plane like an Avid or Kitfox that can land almost anywhere. Again, unlikely. I do not plan to take it out. The weight penalty is minor, and I can still fly 2 big adults with full fuel. My wife likes the fact the plane has it, and that is worth something.

Posted

Everyone should have one of these in their airplane. Airplanes are horribly dangerous. :stirthepot:

For sale: 1200# BRS Parachute taken out of my Kitfox IV - Make me and offer, plus shipping.

When I look at that picture i have the urge to mount that post-263-13226670722439_thumb.jpg= WWII_Bomb_TS_1.jpg16c3d4c7-1d82-4b85-a70f-7d536959d022Small.jpg shaped BRS canister to a quick release under my plane and make a whistling noise as it plummets. ::)

That being said I think the Avid might a good flour bomber... any thoughts?

Posted

I am interested in the 1200# BRS for sale.

Has it expired and need to be repacked?

Herman Oregon 541 404 6464

Posted

When I look at that picture i have the urge to mount that post-263-13226670722439_thumb.jpg= WWII_Bomb_TS_1.jpg16c3d4c7-1d82-4b85-a70f-7d536959d022Small.jpg shaped BRS canister to a quick release under my plane and make a whistling noise as it plummets. rolleyes.gif

That being said I think the Avid might a good flour bomber... any thoughts?

I have done a few "strafing" runs and more than a few bombing runs in my avid. Its alot easier to drop stuff out when the floats are not on it as I can just release.. I gotta give a good toss to clear the floats. Looks like a great use for the BRS to me! :lol:

:BC:

Posted

I am interested in the 1200# BRS for sale.

Has it expired and need to be repacked?

Herman Oregon 541 404 6464

I emailed you, Herman.