Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

84KF empty weight w\photos

6 posts in this topic

Posted

Just a look at the scales I use and the empty weight of N84KF.

762 lbs - 3 gal. usable fuel @ 6 lbsgal. (18 lbs) = 744 lbs Empty Weight.

Just so there is no confusion or presumptions, I know the usable fuel = 3 gals. because I had just drained all tanks and then added 3 gals for run up purposes.

BTW... how many time have you heard, or been told, you must use "certified"scales...or some b.s. like that?

Here is an excerpt from the FAA  Weight and Balance Handbook FAA-H-8083-1A, Page 3-1

"Mechanical scales should be protected when they are not

in use, and they must be periodically checked for accuracy

by measuring a known weight. Electronic scales normally

have a built-in calibration that allows them to be accurately

zeroed before any load is applied."

Once again, if someone points me in another (official FAA) direction (regarding scales) I will have learned something new and stand corrected.

steve

246_008_JPGce15866d5b69d63832a504407fb10

248_009_JPG5f22fa2fc9039f0150d0e536cfc52

Posted

Just a look at the scales I use and the empty weight of N84KF.

762 lbs - 3 gal. usable fuel @ 6 lbsgal. (18 lbs) = 744 lbs Empty Weight.

Just so there is no confusion or presumptions, I know the usable fuel = 3 gals. because I had just drained all tanks and then added 3 gals for run up purposes.

BTW... how many time have you heard, or been told, you must use "certified"scales...or some b.s. like that?

Here is an excerpt from the FAA  Weight and Balance Handbook FAA-H-8083-1A, Page 3-1

"Mechanical scales should be protected when they are not

in use, and they must be periodically checked for accuracy

by measuring a known weight. Electronic scales normally

have a built-in calibration that allows them to be accurately

zeroed before any load is applied."

Maybe I missed something here - But my understanding is that the tail has to be raised and a level put in a specified place for weight and balance computations. Of course EW could still be weighed this way. Not that you did not know that - I just wanted to restate it for the new builders.

Ed in MO

Once again, if someone points me in another (official FAA) direction (regarding scales) I will have learned something new and stand corrected.

steve

Posted

I sure hope that these are not the numbers you are using for your weight and balance. If they are, you sure need to work on getting the plane to fly level. LOL The tail needs to be raised to the level-flight attitude. This might help, http://members.eaa.org/home/homebuilders/building/weight/4Weight%20&%20Balance_%20%20Weighing%20and%20Measuring%20Your%20Safety.html

Posted

Steve was not using that for W&B, just getting a total weight empty. I am pretty certain he knows how to do W&B :lol: It was however, a good catch on your guys part to point that out to others who may not know any better!

:BC:

Posted

I'm sure that he does know how to W&B too, It was all in fun. I did forget to mention his calculation with "USABLE" fuel as opposed to unusable fuel. But I don't carry any unusable fuel. Mine flies until the fuel is all gone, then I have to switch tanks.

(I attached the link in case anyone wanted more W&B info)

Posted

Steve was not using that for W&B, just getting a total weight empty. I am pretty certain he knows how to do W&B :lol: It was however, a good catch on your guys part to point that out to others who may not know any better!

:BC:

I have to be honest now - Never done a WB on an experimental yet - Will have to go back to books to make sure I have it correct when it comes to oil, gas, water, etc - Donno why all liquids should not be part of EW, since engine cant run without them - Differences in CAR and FARs, TCDS, I guess. There are also differences between WB unusable fuel, minimum fuel for WB, flight and Landing gear approvals.

Wonder if Father of American Aviation might straighten all this out someday...........NO? 'Cause its Guvment run?

Back to listening to Walter Brennen sing "Old Rivers" on ADF...

Ed in MO