Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

First flight

3 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Yesterday I made my first flight with a 582 Bluehead in my Model 2 after removing the the 80 HP Jabiru.

I sure miss the smooth 800 RPM idle of the Jabiru.

This #490 Kitfox performs well with this 582.

The 582 does not smooth out till 2700 RPM so I have some tuning to do.

I have #55 idle jets and ordered #50.

How many turns out should the idle screw be?

How low will these engines idle without shaking the airframe apart?

I get 6250 RPM full throttle at sea level with the brakes on and it climbs at 6500 RPM.

With 170 mainjets I am showing 1150 EGT's and 225 CHT's at full throttle climb out.

The needle is in the 2nd from the richest position.

It was a 50 degree day and the water temp was 175.

The fuel flow meter was showing 7 GPH full throttle climb.

The EGT's seem a little high but would like advice on what all these numbers should be to take good care of this engine.

Thanks Herman

Edited by herman pahls

Posted

Yesterday I made my first flight with a 582 Bluehead in my Model 2 after removing the the 80 HP Jabiru.

I sure miss the smooth 800 RPM idle of the Jabiru.

This #490 Kitfox performs well with this 582.

The 582 does not smooth out till 2700 RPM so I have some tuning to do.

I have #55 idle jets and ordered #50.

How many turns out should the idle screw be?

How low will these engines idle without shaking the airframe apart?

I get 6250 RPM full throttle at sea level with the brakes on and it climbs at 6500 RPM.

With 170 mainjets I am showing 1150 EGT's and 225 CHT's at full throttle climb out.

The needle is in the 2nd from the richest position.

It was a 50 degree day and the water temp was 175.

The fuel flow meter was showing 7 GPH full throttle climb.

The EGT's seem a little high but would like advice on what all these numbers should be to take good care of this engine.

Thanks Herman

Hi Herman,Glad to see you got it back in the air,does it outperform the Jab? My 582 starts getting rough alittle below 2100,make sure and dont let it rattle and shack on a steady diet because its hard on the gearbox.I had to sync my carbs to get mine to idle right,wish I had a clutch but maybe next year.I have my idle screws backed out one turn and my needle is in the 3rd position from the top.Ive been running 162 main jets through the fall but just put in 165,s but havent tried it with them.Daytime temps are in mid twenties now so had to fatten her up.My EGTs have been running around 1120 give or take,our field elevation is 2120,what is yours? 170 mains seem like alot to have that high of exhaust temps,maybe you are at sea level dont know but 1150 is good according to all the Rotax guys.Im flying mine this weekend if all goes right so I'll let you know what it does with 165,s.Randy

Posted

The numbers look good to me. What does your EGT do at cruise? I run mine on the 3rd clip also and run 165 in the summer and 170 in the winter. Idle screw is spose to be 1.5 turns out for a starting place. If the carbs are not synced you will never get a good smooth idle. The prop pitch is set just perfect as 6500 is the max HP / TQ so you have that dialed in!

Mine shows 7- 7.2 GPH on the fuel flow WOT so your right where you want to be.

Mine will idle smooth as a babys butt at 12-1300 all day long, but I have it set at 1650-1800 depending on whether it is cold or not. NO vibration in the airframe at all. Did I mention how much I love the clutch??

:BC: