Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

582 Cruise RPMs

5 posts in this topic

Posted

Was wondering what most of you cruise at for RPMs with your 582. Ive got 6.5 hours on my Skyraider now and if the weather holds true for the weekend I want to venture out of the pattern aways.The wind has been blowing so much around here lately that I dont want to get to far from the airport.At full throttle on climb its a tad over 6500 so would 5800 be a comfortable cruise rpm?Thinking about putting a little more pitch in my prop,the climb is unreal,these things are little hotrods,just have to get used to them. Randy

Posted

Hi Randy,

I have an in-flight adjustable prop on my 582, but when I had a fixed pitch I would cruise at 5800-6000. What I'm most concerned with is keeping egt's less than 1200 so the pistons stay solid and don't melt! Remember, 582's are originally snowmobile and watercraft engines that run at 8500 rpm. I run mine 6800 for take off and add more pitch at 500 agl and set rpm to reduce fuel burn. Have fun, Bryce

Posted

I run mine at 5700-5800 for long range cruise. Fuel burn goes up almost a gallon an hour at 6000 with my set up and I only gain 2-3mph. If I'm just out dinking around I'll run at 55-5600 and see around 4.0-4.5 gph.

I would add a degree of pitch to your prop. If your seeing 6500 on climb out your going to over rev it if you go wide open straight and level. I turn 6300 on take off which gives me around 6500 at WOT straight and level.

Posted

I cruise 5800-6000 depending on how fast I wanna get somewhere. Just make sure you have enough pitch in that the EGT's stay around 1150 at straight and level cruise.

BC.gif

Edit... Love your Avatar! That one has to have you wrapped around her lil finger :lol:

Posted

I typically cruised between 5000 and 5800 depending on if I was in a hurry. I had an in flight mixture control and found that I could get very good fuel economy in the 5200-5400 ROM range leaned to around 1150 EGT.

Chris Bolkan