Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

my mod C

5 posts in this topic

Posted

hi there!!

still building my avid C

here some pic of my hybrid speed stol wing

from a short speed wing, i removed capstips, and add pieces with gussets to modify airfoil with a stol airfoil template but with a bit less undercambered curve.

post-192-13239749585504_thumb.jpg

post-192-13239750210446_thumb.jpg

post-192-13239750658339_thumb.jpg

post-192-132397513585_thumb.jpg

post-192-13239763363402_thumb.jpg

I modeled false fiberglassribs to keep speedwing tank on (the tank goes from stol to speed from root to tip)

post-192-1323975813576_thumb.jpg

then i extended wing but only half way so i keep short flaps with large tips and limited exessive washout.

by luck, 65mm metric tubes went just perfectly in US tubes :)

post-192-1323975209869_thumb.jpg

post-192-13239752543612_thumb.jpg

post-192-13239753005986_thumb.jpg

now, i plan to put a 503, with rope start.

my aim is to get a plane light and simple. The original C cooling unperfored might be good for aerodynamic...and miss some money.

:beerchug:

Posted

Could you tell a bit more about how your drag/anti-drag tubes are secured to the main spar? Flatened and riveted or a later style stub tube riveted to the main spar? Thanks in advance.

Posted

Could you tell a bit more about how your drag/anti-drag tubes are secured to the main spar? Flatened and riveted or a later style stub tube riveted to the main spar? Thanks in advance.

drag tubes are riveted and gluted as the original.for the only short extended wing, drag tube is strong oregon wood gluted against ribs and spars with couple gussets each side.

Posted

Nice work on your wing design, Im very interested as my kit came with parts for the speed wing and i would prefer the stol but going with what fits the budget your design may be just the answer. I have to make most of my ribs from scratch so I was wondering if you happen to have a template for each different rib (stol and speed the way you've done it). also how much twist did you put into your wings? Thanks and keep up the good work

Robert

Posted

Nice work on your wing design, Im very interested as my kit came with parts for the speed wing and i would prefer the stol but going with what fits the budget your design may be just the answer. I have to make most of my ribs from scratch so I was wondering if you happen to have a template for each different rib (stol and speed the way you've done it). also how much twist did you put into your wings? Thanks and keep up the good work

Robert

hi

thanks for your interest

I ve got the template of both but in wood, so it is near to impossible to send them cross atlantic...but the butt rib on fuselage is the perfect stol template ! you just need to draw the rib tail(going straight line).

if you go from scratch it is more easy to change from speed to stol. if you want to keep speed tank, you'll have to make a smooth transition on each wing to keep them symetric, especialy on the underside, this is why i reduced the draggy under curveline.

For the twist, i have the 1"5 of the speed wing.With the half extention, the wing tip is not ending with too much useless twist, and the flap can still the short speed without extention.(if you have them never mounted, they have their spar going far from the tip allowing to make a large round tip. an other note is the location of flapps, they are the same on both airfoil, just the gap between trailing edge on speed is bigger.

This is experimental, so i can't be sure of succes until flight, but i'm not very afraid of as it is not ending to major aerodynamics changes :)

:beerchug: