Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Steep Hillside landing

9 posts in this topic

Posted

I've been eyeballing this area for a while now. Usually either the winds aren't playing nice or I'm just not "feeling it". Today the conditions were absolutely perfect and I was having one of the best flights I've had in a long time. After 6 approaches I committed to this one. I had to come up a draw and then fully commit to the hillside. It was the shortest steepest place I've ever landed. At the top of the hill was a big hump with a drop off onto a road. I had to pour the coals to her and then sidehill for a little ways. Kind of nerve racking watching your wingtip bob around a foot off the ground.

On top of this place I landed a few other new spots today. It was just one of those days!! My airplane was flying awesome, the conditions were perfect, my landings were all good, it was just an awesome flying day!

Looking over the top

cache4.jpg

cache1.jpg

This is the hillside where I set down.

cache2.jpg

cache7.jpg

Looking back down the hill. Let's just say it was a short takeoff. Pics don't do it justice as usual it was pretty dang steep.

cache3-1.jpg

Posted

Looks Like you have a very cool play ground, the pictures look great. What is the elevation on top of the ridges.

Happy holidays, Willis

Posted

The valley floor below is almost Sea Level. The tops of my playground run from 2500 to 5000ft. This landing spot was at 3000 ft. There's another group that I fly with in the Sierras that do the same thing only their playground is 9-11k. The plane is a dog up there but still gets off shorter than anything else up there.

Posted

The valley floor below is almost Sea Level. The tops of my playground run from 2500 to 5000ft. This landing spot was at 3000 ft. There's another group that I fly with in the Sierras that do the same thing only their playground is 9-11k. The plane is a dog up there but still gets off shorter than anything else up there.

Posted

Thats really cool Joey, my buddy I fly with wants to go land on some of the ridges up here this winter with ski's ,there about 7000 ft so that should get the heart pounding,hopefully there fairly flat since the brakes don't work to well. He used to be a heli ski guide so I guess he's got some good areas to check out. :BC:

Willis

Posted

Very cool Joey, That looks like one to get the heart pounding!

Posted

hi what aare those tyres you have on thanks?

Posted

hi what aare those tyres you have on thanks?

21X12X8 Nanco's. They are ATV sand tires. You can pick them up for $100 from www.atvtires.net if you already have 8" rims. At 6-8psi they are awesome off airport and you simply can't beat the price.

Posted

It's about time to go back and visit this spot!