Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0

Spar tube conditioning

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Just how far do the spar tubes need to be cleared/sanded void of scratches? I have found myself going to try and remove any spot of a depression no matter how small. Even the tiny nicks I am going after. Am I sick or just too anal? I would like to know how far others have went....these tubes have a few scratches here and there from being loaded/unloaded at the supplier. Only one small indentation around .028" deep in a small bean size area. Does this tube need replacing? It is about 4' from one end. Sorry for the continued questions.....I have no other support at this time. Thanks....Mike

Edited by Tree top pilot

Posted

Me thinks your being a lil anal about them. You did get new spars and are not using the ones that were welded on right?? I would put the small ding on the outboard end just for the halibut!

:BC:

Posted

Yes these are the new spar tubes....few nicks here and there. Nothing that has not sanded out...or most of it by hand. Just worried about stress risers. No welding going on these spars.

Posted

IIRC, my Avid manual said any nick or scratch deep enough to catch your fingernail is not allowed within 18" of the spar pin holes or lift strut brackets. Smaller nicks or scratches anywhere along the spar tube can be burnished out without concern.